THE BENEFITS OF GROUP EXERCISE AND OUR PHYSIOWEST CLASSES
Having trouble holding yourself accountable to regular exercise?
You are not alone and I’ve definitely been a culprit of this myself! Sometimes finding the motivation to drag yourself to the gym or go for a run over watching another Netflix episode can be challenging.
You’ve probably heard the adage that ‘exercise is 90% mental and 10% physical’. Overcoming these mental barriers can be extremely testing and it’s easy to find an excuse; “I’m too tired”, “it’s too cold”, “I’ll go tomorrow instead”. You’re in a constant battle with yourself!
It’s well known that exercise has multiple benefits for both physical and mental health. Whilst it reduces your risk of detrimental health conditions, it is also an extremely effective natural anti-anxiety/stress treatment. The release of endorphins during exercise stimulates a range of beneficial responses within our body. However, that doesn’t make it any easier to find motivation and stick to a regular exercise regime!
BUT, have you tried group exercise or working out with a buddy?
Exercising with others is a powerful motivator and helps keep you accountable to regular exercise, as you’re less likely to excuse yourself from these scheduled encounters.
The study investigated the effects of group exercise compared with individual exercise. Those who exercised in a group setting showed:
- 6% improvement in mental health
- 8% improvement in physical health
- 26% improvement in emotional health
- 2% reduction in stress levels
And, those who exercised individually worked out for twice as long than those in a group but reported no significant changes in anything except mental health – with an 11% increase.
Not only do you reap the benefits listed above, but peer exercise has also been shown to improve performance! With another study finding that those who exercised with a more-capable partner increased their plank time by 24% (Feltz, Kerr & Irwin 2011).
There you have it… results are in and if you ask me, it seems like group exercise is the way to go!
Eager to give group exercise a go? COME JOIN OUR GROUP EXERCISE CLASSES! We love new members!
We have a variety of different classes available to cater for all ages and skill levels, so rest assured there’s something for everyone whether your goal is to build strength, control or to de-stress after a long days work.
The ‘WHAT, WHY and HOW?’
What are all the different classes on offer?
- Balance: With a focus on increasing strength and balance to maintain independence.
- Body Flow: Stretching and yoga-based class, ideal for relieving muscle tension and stress.
- Body Reform: Equipment based exercises using pilates reformers and trapeze tables to build strength and improve control.
- Body Strong: Gym based class using weights and machines with a focus on building strength.
- Core: Mat based exercises to challenge and build core strength/control.
- Hydrotherapy: Water based exercises to help improve movement and build strength.
- Mums and Bubs: Light strengthening and stability exercises for new mums and bubs.
Why join a group exercise class?
- Improved strength and flexibility
- Injury prevention and/or management
- Improve posture
- Improve control, stability and quality of movement
- Weight management for overall health and well-being
- Improved mental well-being and social interaction
But, why PhysioWest group classes?
- 45-minute classes
- Small class numbers 4-5 ppl max
- Physiotherapist supervision to optimise technique and movement
- Personalised Programs – work towards your specific goals at your own pace
- Progress and be challenged as you improve
- Fun and upbeat classes in a social group setting
- $25 classes, claimable on private health
- Every 5th class is free
- Pay for 10 classes upfront (incl. x2 free classes) and receive 50% off a remedial massage in-clinic at the end of each 10-week block
Think you might be interested, but not sure what class would suit you?
Book in with one of our physiotherapists for a Pre-class Assessment where they will identify your goals, create a personalised exercise program and suggest a suitable class to help you meet these goals! You can even trial a few different classes and see what one tickles your fancy!
We can’t wait to see you in class soon!
Sophie Alderslade, Physiotherapist, PhysioWest
Feltz, D, Kerr, N & Irwin, B 2011, ‘Buddy Up: The Kohler Effect Applied to Health Games’, Journal of sport & exercise psychology, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 506-26, DOI: 10.1123/jsep.33.4.506.
Yorks, D.M, Frothingham, C.A & Schuenke, M.D 2017, ‘Effects of Group Fitness Classes on Stress and Quality of Life of Medical Students’, The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, vol. 117, no. 11, pp. e17-e25, DOI: https://doi.org/10.7556/jaoa.2017.140.